December 1, 2010

An FB fad: Invasion of Memories

.

If you're an addict to using Facebook, you probably know there's this status message circulating where in you're being asked to change your profile image to a cartoon (that in essence, has been a part of your childhood). They (whoever started this) says it's to show violence against children where in fact, could also test and see how far Facebook can go and make people do this change. I hope that whoever participates in this does maintain true to the cause but I actually got hooked in their phrase "An invasion of memories". Because of that, I even had a hard time thinking the best cartoon/ anime that I'd choose... and I ended up with one of the first ever cartoon that had a major impact in my childhood: Sailor Moon!

And so to complete the blog, here are more influential anime/ cartoon of my time that really completed my childhood... Before Naruto or Ben 10 came in, here's what captured the hearts of my age... and how it shows I'm still a kid at heart for now dying to want to watch these shows again!!=)

1) Sailor Moon


Usagi Tsukino is an ordinary school girl until she discovers a talking cat named Luna who reveals she is Sailor Moon, the soldier of Love and Justice, who is destined to protect the universe against against a series of dark villains. With the helped of her friends who also became soldiers of different planet names (e.g. Sailor Mars, Mercury, etc.) and let's not forget the love interest of Moon, Tuxedo Mask.

2) Yu Yu Hakusho (Ghost Fighter)

"Raaaay-gun!" Srsly, Need I say more?:))
(Oh and I love Dennis, HE'S NOT GAY!!!>_<")

3) Fushigi Yuugi (The Mysterious Play)

First running as a manga in 1992 and released as an anime in 1995, Fushigi Yuugi is a story of Miaka Yuki and Yui Hongo, bestfriends who were sucked into the world of an old, mysterious book who turns them into maidens of two countries at war. Forced to fight each other to be able to summon their particular gods and grant them 3 wishes (one of which is to return their own world).
5) Powerpuff Girls and 6) Dexter's Laboratory

Although I have a strict classification between "cartoons" and "anime", I'd not only focus on the anime which has greatly influenced me back then. Before Nickolodeon, Hero TV and whatever it is kids now watch now-a-days, Cartoon Network showed two of the hit cartoons (aside from Bugs Bunny and Tom & Jerry of course) and that's the PowerPuff Girls and Dexter's Laboratory!

"Sugar, spice, and everything nice... Saving the world before bedtime!"

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door
where impossible things may happen that the world has never seen before
In Dexter's Laboratory, lives the smartest boy you've ever seen
but Dee Dee blows his experiments to smithereens
There is gloom, and doom while things go boom
in Dexter's Laaaab!" :))


7) Flame of Recca


Before Naruto, Recca Hanabishi discovers he is a Ninja living in a modern day-time who has the power to control fire and summon the strongest fire-wielding dragons. With other friends and foes along the way, the plot is much similar to Yu Yu Hakusho where one's skills and survival of the fittest is put to the test.

8) Voltes V


Because of this anime, I was happy to have been born and lived at my genre. Kids now don't know how good and influential Voltes V is to today's mecha and human inspiration... and no current anime can sum up this legend!

9) Tom & Jerry


The classic cat and mouse chase has lived for years and I think this show is still on right? There were just a few enhancements made like Tom and Jerry now talks and they're kids and stuff--- but nothin' beats to the old whammy and funny chases made by the 90's version!

10) Walt Disney Princesses


It shouldn't be a wonder why this is in the list. The princesses of the different Walt Disney movies have made a huge market before even until today. Although i highly doubt kids now have watched Aladdin one hundred and one times like me (i kid you not!) and has memorized every song line in Little Mermaid, they are one of the memories I still keep with me and actually collect to share with my future kids. :)

11) The Little Lulu Show

Based on Marjorie Henderson Buell comic book character Little Lulu, this was turned into an animated series that aired sometime 1995.

You gotta miss Little Lulu's stand-up comedy lines before each show ends.

*Update* (as of Dec. 4)
12) Captain Planet


The list just keeps adding up as friends and friends of friends keep up with this fad. As I see and remember those cartoons who've been a much part of my childhood and Captain Planet was definitely one of them. This show was one of the best and most educational cartoons of it's time and kids were really taught how to take care of the planet. Now that the world's growing population and pollution, isn't it time to revive the Hero who commits to take pollution down to zero?

13) The Real GhostBusters


If there are kids who are afraid of ghosts, you can certainly rely on the Peter, Egon, Winston, Ray and well, Slimmer at occasional times to get rid of your paranormal problems!

Author's note:
The cartoon/ animes I've mentioned above are based only on those I've watched during my childhood years. I've been seeing a lot of pro-pic changes in Facebook showing a lot more shows I haven't been able to watch before. It truly does show how much cartoons become a part of someone's life and still miss them 'til one grows up. The list goes on and on and I'll just keep updating this when I get the chance!=D

- - -
Related Posts by other bloggers:

0 Comments: